On 30 January 1836 the Intrinsic, a ship from Liverpool bound for New Orleans, was blown into a bay at Look-Out cliffs in Kilkee. The ship was dashed repeatedly against the cliffs and all fourteen crew were drowned. This letter is possibly the only hand written account of what happened on that fateful morning.
Two regular visitors to the holiday resort of Kilkee after WWII stayed for 3 months each summer and continued their visits up until the early 60s. These ladies fascinated the locals and holidaymaker alike due to their dress and unusual behaviours.
The Foogagh race meeting was one of the most popular racing events in the West of Ireland. Big prize money and a Gold Cup was its attraction and was known locally as the ‘Landlord Races’.
By May 1920, Rules for the Courts were established, but in effect, there was already a system of local parish courts set up along the Western Seaboard, in particular in Clare and Mayo – these were set up on an ad hoc basis without any formal legislative powers but had the wave of nationalism as its main support
by Tommy McGrath The accepted term for holy well in the Irish language is either ‘Tobar Beannaithe’, meaning holy well or ‘Tobar Naofa’, meaning saintly well. The surviving names of so many wells are a direct translation from Irish of pre-Christian era to present day English. Many of them are named after local saints for […]
An artist’s impression of the scene, published in October 1871, has come to light during the digitisation of an archive of Victorian illustrated newspapers by the Mary Evans Picture Library in London.
The opening and dedicatory services of the Crook Memorial Church, Kilkee in 1901 was a source of curiosity leading the author to ask who was the person to whom the church was dedicated, what was his relevance to Kilkee, what was his importance to the Methodist community.
The Clare Coastal Architectural Heritage Survey is an almost comprehensive survey of structures of vernacular, engineering and architectural value, constructed over the past three centuries.
Eugene O’Curry was born in Doonaha in Co. Clare, on the bank of the Shannon some miles east of Loop Head, in November, 1794.
There can only be a handful of Irish church sites that have not been visited and described, however briefly, over the past 150 years. Until recently, Bishop’s Island belonged to this dwindling group.